Thursday, June 10, 2010

Sugar Cookie Bars

When I try something new in the kitchen, my husband usually gives me a "Pretty good!"  But this time I got...."Oh my gosh!  These are FANTASTIC!"  Score!  I get such gratification when he shows enthusiasm over something I cook!  Now my 8-year-old daughter likes anything with sprinkles and frosting, so of course she gave them the thumbs up.  Now the 10-month-old...well, she'll eat anything! :)

When I saw this recipe I knew I had to try it.  I love sugar cookies but absolutely HATE making them.  I only make them at Christmas and they usually wind up with several tears splashed on top because I am horrible at the rolling and cutting and lifting.....I'm getting tense just thinking about it.  But these....oh these little things....oh how they make me smile.  You mix up the dough and press it into a baking sheet.  That's it!  No rolling, no cutting....ahhhhh.


Cookie Bars:
1 c. butter, softened
2 c. sugar
4 eggs
3 t. vanilla
5 c. all-purpose flour
1 t. salt
1/2 t. baking soda

Frosting:
1 c. butter, softened
1 t. vanilla
pinch of salt
3 1/2 c. powdered sugar, sifted
food coloring (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a rimmed cookie sheet (I think mine was 12 x 17).  Combine the butter and sugar with an eclectic mixer beating at medium-high speed until light and smooth.  Mix in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.  Blend in the vanilla. 

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, salt, and baking soda; stirring together to blend.  Add the dry ingredients to the mixer bowl and beat on low speed until just incorporated.

Transfer the dough to the prepared baking sheet and press into an even layer.  Bake 10-15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool completely before frosting.

For the frosting, beat the butter on medium-high speed until smooth.  Blend in the vanilla, salt, and powdered sugar until smooth.  Tint as desired with food coloring.  Spread over the cookie in the pan, cut into bars and serve.

adapted from annies-eats.com

1 comment:

  1. I'm excited to try these! I feel the same way about making sugar cookies!

    ReplyDelete