Friday, September 30, 2011

Beef Burgundy

I always knew that someone special was coming for dinner when my mom made this dish.  This isn't your run-of-the-mill Tuesday night dinner!

It's special for another reason too.  This recipe was my Mammaw's.  She taught my mom how to make it, my mom just taught me how to make it, and now I am passing the recipe to you!

Don't be too worried about getting the measurements exactly right; mom doesn't measure and everything is guesstimated! :)














Salt pork or jowl bacon for drippings
About 3/4 cup flour
2 1/2 lbs sirloin, cubed
1 carton beef stock
12 oz. burgundy wine (I found a small bottle next to the vinegar at the grocery)
Half an orange, somewhat hollowed out
Thyme (I used a few fresh sprigs)
Marjoram (I probably used about 1 tsp.)
Tarragon (I probably used about 1 1/2 tsp.)
Black peppercorns (ummm...about 1 1/2 tsp.?)
Kosher Salt (about 1 tsp?)
2 cloves of garlic
2 bay leaves
Jar of pearl onions
Mushrooms (Ick, I pick these out!)

Fry salt pork in a dutch oven until done.  Dredge sirloin in flour.  Remove salt pork from grease and discard.  Brown sirloin in salt pork drippings.  (Don't cook it through, just enough to brown it!)  Drain meat of remaining grease and add broth and burgundy.















In the hollowed out orange, combine spices and garlic.  (I didn't measure, just filled it with a little of each.) Wrap up the orange in a cheesecloth and tie off with a knot.  Place orange in the center of the meat and broth.  Place in oven and cook at 325 degrees for about three hours.

Remove from oven and add onions and mushrooms.  Cook an additional hour.  Remove orange and serve over noodles.  You can also cook this in the crock pot on low for 4-5 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment