Monday, September 12, 2011

Margarita Cake

My FAVORITE (she's my only, so I can say that and not get in trouble) sister-in-law, Meredith, sent me this recipe with rave reviews.  I needed to take a dish to a party this past weekend and chose to take this--wanted to hurry up while it still feels like summer outside!

I had a little mini-bundt cake pan that I've been wanting to use so I made little mini cakes; I'm including cook times for both.

Warning: Do not taste the glaze before you pour it on the cake.  You will want to guzzle it because it is basically a really sweet margarita.  I know you won't heed my warning, but don't say I didn't warn you.  You better go ahead and make a triple batch of glaze....

Cake:

  • 1 pkg. of white cake mix
  • 1 pkg. (4 serving size) of vanilla pudding (I used sugar free and could not tell the difference)
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup of margarita mixer (without alcohol) or fresh lime juice
  • 1/4 cup of tequila

Glaze: (If you are making the mini-bundt cakes or cupcakes, double the recipe.  Meredith said that she doubled it for a regular bundt cake, poked holes in the cake while it was still in the pan, and poured it over the holes.  I meant to do this but I was in a hurry and forgot!  She says it makes the cake ultra moist!)
  • 1 cup of powdered sugar
  • 3 Tbsp of fresh lime juice (you could also use the margarita mix)
  • 2 Tbsp of tequila
Preheat oven to 350.  Grease and flour your cake pan(s).  Combine all cake ingredients, mix on high for two minutes.  If making a full size bundt, bake for 45-50 minutes, until center is set.  If making mini-bundts or cupcakes, bake for 18-22 minutes.  Cool in pan for 5 (mini cakes) or 10 (regular bundt) minutes.  Transfer to a baking sheet with a wire rack placed in it.  Pour glaze over cake while still warm.  (I sliced up little candy lime slices to put on top.  If making a regular bundt cake, I think real lime slices would look pretty.)

recipe slightly adapted from Meredith Norman


No comments:

Post a Comment