Sunday, September 4, 2011

Chinese Roast Pork

I don't know about you, but, when I order Chinese take-out I DIVE for those little bits of red pork that are mixed in the fried rice.  If you are like me and you hoard all of those succulent little morsels for yourself, you will LOVE this pork recipe.  I'm not sure what it is...the ginger, the brown sugar, the Chinese five-spice powder...but this tastes a LOT like that pork that you find in take-out fried rice.























  • 3 lb. boneless pork loin
  • salt and pepper
  •  2Tbsp. vegetable oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 2-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
  • 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
  • 2 Tbsp. packed dark brown sugar
  • 2 tsp. Chinese five-spice powder


Trim pork of excess fat and season with salt and pepper.  Warm oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add pork and brown on all sides, 5 to 7 minutes.
Transfer pork to slow cooker.  Pour off all but 1 Tbsp. fat from skillet.  Add onion, garlic and ginger to skillet and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes.  Add soy sauce, brown sugar and five-spice powder.  Cook, stirring, until sugar has dissoved, about 1 minute. Pour over pork.

Cover and cook on low until meat is very tender  when pierced with a knife, about 5 hours.  Remove pork to a cutting board, tent with foil and let stand 10 minutes.  Thinly slice against the grain and serve.

recipe (and photo until I get my camera fixed!) is from all you magazine

1 comment:

  1. I do the same thing with our pork fried rice, love the bits! Sounds like a delish recipe I will have to try! Thanks for stopping by and we have had the heart marshmallows in our pantry. I always buy extra bags and save them for times like this :)

    ReplyDelete