Sunday, September 11, 2011

Buttermilk Biscuits


I've mentioned before my bread addiction.  If I had to pick a favorite bread, biscuits would be tied for first (with a soft yeast roll slathered in honey butter).  I whipped these up to go with a late lunch this afternoon and they were hands down the best biscuits that I have ever made!  Many times, homemade biscuits come out very dense and/or dry.  Not the case with these.  They were VERY light.  My husband, who hardly ever eats bread with a meal (weird, huh?) said: "I don't even like biscuits and these are really good!"  SCORE!


















3 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
2 1/2 Tbsp sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
8 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, diced
2/3 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup milk, plus more for brushing
Preheat oven to 425˚F. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.  Blend in the cold butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Pour in the buttermilk and milk; mix until just combined.  Do not over mix.
On a floured surface, roll the dough to a 1-inch thick square. Fold the dough in half, turn it and roll it again into a 1-inch thick square.  Repeat one more time and then gently roll one final time into a 1-inch 9×9 square.
Use a biscuit cutter or knife to cut into individual portions.  I don't have a biscuit cutter so I just cut the biscuits into squares.  Place the dough on baking sheet, brush with milk and bake for 10 to 15 minutes.

Optional: After baked, brush melted butter on the tops.
Another option:  For a savory biscuit, omit the sugar, add 2 cloves of garlic (minced) and a 1/2 Tbsp dried parsley.
Adapted from Jane’s Sweets & Baking Journal
Picture borrowed from stumptownsavoury until I get my camera fixed!

No comments:

Post a Comment