Friday, September 9, 2011

Waffles of Insane Greatness


I'm a firm believer that everything doesn't have to be made from scratch--sometimes the box mix is just as good or better.  Cakes...the box mix is just as good.  Brownies...the box mix is almost always better.  Waffles...the box mix is ALWAYS better.  


My mom gave me a professional grade waffle maker for my birthday a few years ago and ever since then I make a LOT of waffles--at least once a week.  I tried the recipes that came with the waffler and they were not good at all.  So, I settled for the big bag of Krusteaz from Sam's--they were good!  


However, as I have mentioned before, I am trying to make more things from scratch to lessen the amount of preservatives that my little family consumes.  I have tried SO many waffle recipes and they never measure up to the store-bought mix....until now!


With a name like "Waffles of Insane Greatness," how could they not be good?  These were super yummy.  Crispy on the outside with a very light and fluffy interior.  I think the secret is the corn starch--enjoy!















1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups whole milk or buttermilk or 2 c. rice milk with 3 tablespoons vinegar
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
3 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Butter and syrup, for serving
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; mix well. Add the milk, vegetable oil, egg, sugar and vanilla and mix well. Let the batter sit for 30 minutes (I mixed mine before church and made them about 1 1/2 later and they were great).
Preheat a waffle iron. Do not use non-stick spray on the waffle iron; the oil in the batter will allow the waffle to release easily. Follow the directions on your waffle iron to cook the waffles. Serve immediately with butter and syrup.


adapted from Aretha Frankensteins

No comments:

Post a Comment